So, a little bit about my country life right now.
The Hubby told me of his doctoring that he did to a cow on Friday. They had recently moved the cattle to new corn stalks and to calve out. The danger with stalks is that sometimes the cattle may bloat or founder. Well, she bloated and was down. The hubby tried tubing her orally, but he didn't get any air out of her stomach. Maybe because she was laying down. So he had to cut into her side and into her stomach and insert tubing to release the gas causing her to bloat. Poor thing. It was either that or die... Unfortunately, she died anyway. Lost a cow and an unborn calf. The hubby is a really good makeshift country vet normally. I guess this one was too far gone to save.
On a happy note. Four calves were born the other day. Just about 345 to go! I hope that I don't miss out on all the tagging of the calves this year. The Baby makes it hard to go with sometimes. But it is fun. Hubby has already had 2 mean mommas this year. One put him up on the fence, and the other required him to get into the right position to pull the calf into the cab of the pickup with him and drive off to tag it. :) You want an adrenaline rush? Tag a mean mommas calf!!!
Gotta get my seeds ordered. I need to put that on my to do list. I will need to get ready to plant my garden within the next two months. Need to look into what building I am going to use for my chicken house. The one that I want to use has 20 years of junk and animal waste built up in it. I am half tempted to buy a small pre-fabricated building, rather than clean all that nasty crap out of the other.
That is all that is exciting in the country right now. Spring time should bring some new stories. Especially with my new adventures in gardening and chickens.
Stay tuned for more mean momma cow stories!!
Tuesday, February 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Ssssoooooo-eeee!!!!
ReplyDelete:)