Monday, February 9, 2009

Poor Baby

Well, I sit here listening to my baby cry. It is 10:00, her bedtime, and she is fighting it tonight. Normally she nurses and will rock to sleep at this time, but no such luck tonight. She is getting her top teeth in, so she is a little more uncomfortable this week. On a normal night, she would fall asleep around 10 and I get to lay her in her bassinet in our room. She normally wakes up between 12 and 2 to nurse again and depending on how I feel, I will lay her back into her bassinet or just keep her in bed. Either way, she almost always wakes up again around 4 or 5, in which I put her in bed with me or pull her back close if she is already in the bed and she will go back to sleep. But tonight...I am having to listen to her cry. I don't like to make my baby cry herself to sleep. I don't like that method, and it is rare that I have to do it, thank goodness. But, if I don't get her to sleep by 10, then Baby is fussy and unbearable and just stays awake and I loose my patience with her because I want to go to sleep myself. Maybe if I were a stay at home mom I wouldn't worry about it, but I have to get up and be able to care for my patients everyday as well.

It's a difficult line on whether to let your child cry herself to sleep or not. My thoughts and beliefs tell me no, that it is cruel, but practically speaking, there is about one day a week I have to do it. One, because it is past her bedtime and our morning routine would be a mess if I don't get her to sleep by 10, and two, I need my bedtime too!

Well, at least it didn't take long tonight. She was really tired. She gave it up in about 5 minutes. Hopefully this tooth will break through soon and we can get back to our happy bedtime routine.

Ta ta for now! Bedtime!

3 comments:

  1. Frustrating to say the least...

    Now might be a good time to introduce strawberries...that would help the teeth break through.

    Thanks for the message the other day, I really, really appreciate it. Things are marginally better. I'll have to tell you about it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how hard it must be to listen to your baby cry. no babies here, but back when i babysat for my cousin, i was doing it during the stage that they were trying to get their son to stay in bed, etc.

    i had to put him in bed and he would scream. and i had to let him cry it out. it was difficult (and he wasn't my kid!). but i knew if i took him out of bed, he would know he won. after the second time, he stopped. and i was glad of that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have tried a chiropractor...he really helped my back and for the first time in about 10 years, i was without pain.

    when i fell off the horse this past august, i reinjured it and no matter what he's done, it hasn't gotten completely better. the pain is pretty much bearable, but their are times that it just amazes me that it hurts so bad.

    i haven't tried it on my ankle yet, mostly because i didn't know they could. i should ask next time i'm there.

    ReplyDelete